Dear Spirit of the Midwest Region 5 Members,
The last few days have been full of emotion in response to an ever-changing situation across our country. It was with an abundance of caution that our SAI Board of Directors made the excruciating decision to cancel all Regional competitions. The International Competition Department has been in direct communication with our Competition Leadership and Regional Management Team to discuss our challenges and questions. Across regions we are sharing ideas, contract negotiations and updates on individual chorus activities. Our Region 5 Management Team and Regional Convention Steering Committee are diligently collaborating to address our contracts, create plans and develop options for an alternative competition.
Just this noon, we learned International is swiftly moving forward to finalize details for video submissions. It won’t be perfect and will challenge us to come up with plans that will honor our voices, stories and harmony. It will be “that year”. But we are Sweet Adelines.
We want you to know:
Please feel comfortable emailing any questions considerations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Region 5 will prevail, sing our songs and spread our harmony.
- Choruses and quartets should make appropriate decisions to rehearse based on your members and your chorus. You will not be penalized for attendance decisions
- We are taking care of canceling hotel room reservation in Cedar Rapids.
- AEPs will be refunded to choruses and individuals that have already paid for them. Any checks that are presently in the mail will not be deposited.
- Thumb drives will be refunded to choruses and individuals that have already paid for them. Any checks that are presently in the mail will not be deposited.
- Please cancel any restaurant reservations you may have made in Cedar Rapids.
- The DoubleTree Hospitality Rooms have been canceled at no cost.
- Region 5 management team is working with the hotels and the theater regarding our contracts with them.
- We anticipate a conference call with the Competition Department. Details about how competition video evaluations will be conducted will be forthcoming from SAI.
- We will publish a Bulletin #3... stay tuned! Send me pictures of your chorus or quartet! Send to: email@example.com. It will be a fun and informative bulletin.
We look forward to harmonizing and enjoying the Sisterhood of Region 5. We are strong and mighty. Set your sights on joining us virtually and at our regional events:
Music is a balm for our souls. Stay well and keep that 2020 Vision!
Ros VanHecke, Events Coordinator
Region 5 Spirit of the Midwest